The Antigonish Affordable Housing Society and the Antigonish Food Security Association is seeking a Community Garden Coordinator to support various community garden sites in Antigonish. This coordinator would be working with or in contact with a team of project leads to help guide and support their work. Job roles and responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Coordinating Community Garden Activities in consultation with local project leaders.
- Supporting participants through regular communication.
- Coordinating work activities and or food related events.
- Promoting community garden sites in the community on social media and through existing networks.
- Promoting the benefits of growing your own food and gathering recipes for various vegetables and fruits so that participants and the community are aware of how to consume them.
- Participate in mentoring opportunities.
- Participate in the necessary manual work to keep the gardens up and running.
- Arrange for any extra produce to be shared among those in need in the community.
- Supporting the development of community pantries/fridges including the recruitment and supporting volunteers for gleaning projects.
- Other tasks that may develop as the season unfolds in consultation with the project leaders.
This position is being funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Program and the successful applicant must be a youth between the ages of 15 and 30 and does not need to be a returning student.
Full Time, 30 hrs. per week for 8 weeks, from June 6th to July 29thth. There will be some flexibility in the work hours, may require some weekend or evening work.
Qualifications- We are seeking to hire a self-directed, skilled youth with strong leadership and communication skills. An academic background in Community Development, Agriculture or Nutrition, would be considered an asset but other educational backgrounds will be considered. Knowledge of gardening would assist in this position but mentoring will be provided as needed. The successful candidate will have experience in coordinating community projects or events and be able to work with a variety of people in a respectful manner.
Those interested in this position should e-mail their cover letter and resume to:
Colleen Cameron, Antigonish, firstname.lastname@example.org
By midnight May 23rd, 2022.
Only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. Please send any inquiries to the e-mail above.
The Antigonish Affordable Housing Society is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.